Saturday, October 29, 2016

Yeeehaaaa! It's Halloween.

Today is Saturday, and I haven't moved from the couch all day. I've been knitting, playing fetch with my dog, opening squishy yarn parcels and watching Halloween films. Why? Because this week has been so hectic; I've been busy crafting since Wednesday in readiness for the nursery Halloween party.  Now, I thought about my costume a while back, and I knew for sure that I wasn't going to purchase it (past couple of years I have) as it was going to cost me a fortune, well £60 to be precise, and I thought 'Pfff! I could make it for less than that.' So I did. However, instead of starting the costume making a month ago, I did buy my hat and boots at that time, I left it to the last minute.  There I was on Wednesday night frantically cutting up cow print fabric for chaps and writing a shopping list for a man's shirt, fabric and other pieces for my O/H to purchase the following day. He meanwhile was stuck up the loft hunting through old trainer boxes looking for shoe laces for said chaps.  So you can imagine how frazzled I felt going to work on Thursday and how deflated I felt when I knew had to come home and do all the crafting again for the costumes shirt. Oh! And Paul thinking it was funny to say he had not got any of the stuff on my list. Normally I would've laughed at his little joke but being so tired I just wanted to poke him in the eye, but fortunately for him, he was driving at the time. Anyway, back to the shirt making.  As soon as I got in from work, I dumped my stuff and ran upstairs, I ripped open the bag and tried the shirt on, smart move me thinks.  Can you imagine making the whole thing and then realising the shirt is too small or too big. Then I spent half an hour staring at the yellow fabric and staring at the shirt thinking 'I'm so tired I can't do this!' Then another half an hour twisting and turning the shirt until my brain kicked in and a light bulb moment pinged in my head. I would trace the top half of the shirts collar, shoulder and arm shape and cut the fabric from the template. Only, problem I didn't have any tracing paper, so I ended up laying the fabric on the shirt and feeling my way around the seams and pinning as I went.  I even remembered (through my tiredness) to give myself a seam allowance for cutting the fabric out. Clever Squirrel! The rest of the evening was spent trying to keep my eyes open,  filling up spools of thread, cursing at my sewing machine, pricking my fingers with pins, crying at the ricrac ribbon moving around when I tried to make it into loops and lie flat and then frantically sewing on giant clown buttons.  I finally finished at 11pm; I was so tired I didn't even celebrate. All I could think as I stood in the bathroom brushing my teeth was, now I know how it feels to be a contender on The Great British Sewing Bee. Lol! After that, I collapsed into bed and conked out.

So, after all, my hard work the day of the nursery party came; I got up, showered and put on my costume.  I rushed out to the car as I didn't want my neighbours to see me.  I even managed to walk through the whole school and into the nursery without a soul seeing me. People gushed over my sewing skills, and the kids loved the outfit; I was known as Jessie from Toy Story for the whole day. And on leaving work everyone complimented me on my costume choice so I think it was a thoroughly worthwhile make all round.

                                                                            xoxo xoxo

p.s. Highlight of my day: Pixar liking my Jessie costume on Instagram.


  1. Brilliant costume!!! And how awesome of Pixar to take notice!

  2. Your costume is brilliant, and yey to the instagram love!!

  3. Thank you KnitNurd. I totally went to bed on a high; I was so thrilled with the success of my costume.

  4. Thank you Lynne. Instagram is awesome at times. I tend to spend more time on there than Facebook now.


Thank you for reading my blog, I hope you enjoyed your stay. It would make my day if you left a comment! xxx