Saturday, April 07, 2018

Creative Ways To Beat A Storm

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Pfff!  What a month! March came in like a soft woolly lamb and went out like a savage wolf. What on earth happened?  Firstly, this happened-Beast from the East brought snow and freezing weather to my little part of the world (Scotland) where we saw the worst storm, drifting snow I may add, since the 70's.  I had no work for about five days as it was too dangerous to go out.  Any break in the weather we did get (see photos) we snatched the chance to get some provisions before hunkering down for the next round.  I think the only creature who loved it was my dog Bean. She happily bounded and raced around in the snow without a care in the world.  The more snowballs you threw for her to catch the better. Secondly,  I may have accidentally bought another machine; a sewing machine that is; the Janome Atelier 5.  I know,  I'm a Brother machine type of gal, but this was too good an offer to pass up, and I've always wanted to try another brand.  It's a previously owned machined,  in mint condition, serviced and it came with loads of accessories, way more than I would have received if I had bought the machine from new.  The person who owned it previously naturally passed everything over when they traded the device in, and the company who sold me the machine then passed these on to me. None of the extra pieces were even mentioned in the price.  So, you may be asking what did you receive? Well,  the most significant surprise was the quilting kit extension table with all the accessories.  I also received loads of bobbins, two new machine needle packs, extra seam ripper, thread the list goes on.  Even Paul was gobsmacked when I opened up not one big package, but two.  But don't worry, this doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of my Brother. Oh! No my Brother Innovis -350SE is too unique to part with,  it's my main machine and always will be, I know all its quirks and nuisances lol! Just noticed this mistake, should say nuances.   It's going off for a service and will be back on the table as soon as it comes home. Thirdly,  I've been sticking to my good intention of sewing some beautiful clothes, and I'm having a ball. To date, I've made four new garments, not bad for someone who would leave their machine sitting for months on end without lifting the cover off to use it.  My first non-clothing make was pyramid pattern weights; I've always wanted to make these but was never sure if I would actually use them. As you can see from the photos, I'm getting quite a bit of use out of them, but still using pins as a security measure (just humour me, pleasssee lol!)  This leafy grey georgette material from Sew Hayley Jane is being made into the Venus Kimono by Annie from Sew This Pattern.  This kimono was constructed from three large pattern pieces. All the main sewing consisted of French seams (a process I'd never tried before.) I found these very nerve-racking to complete, but after sewing a few,  I settled into the technique easily. The second technique that was new to me was a rolled hem. I found this extremely hard and fiddly, even though I was using a rolled hem foot. The foot just wanted to suck up more material which resulted in a puckering effect. The slippery material I was using didn't help one bit, but I persevered, and the result was stunning. Oh, before I forget,  if you ever get a chance to buy one of Annie's patterns, please do as they are awesome; they are fantastic to follow, they have clear instructions and are just a dream to construct. This is the first pattern I have purchased from her, and I've gone on to buy two other styles (I will blog about these soon).

And finally, I won another competition. The final photos are the prizes I received from Love Sewing Magazine. What can I say? I've already put these pieces to good use.

Have a good weekend, and I will see you in a couple of days to post some of my other makes (sewing, related of course).


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog, I hope you enjoyed your stay. It would make my day if you left a comment! xxx